Pastor Edward Clarence Craig, Jr. Neighborhood Park is a beautiful and peaceful park located in the heart of Austin, Texas. Named in honor of Pastor Edward Clarence Craig, Jr., a respected community leader and pastor who dedicated his life to serving the people of East Austin, this park is a beloved gathering place for locals and visitors alike.
Location and History of the Park
Located at 1600 Nash Hernandez Sr. Road in East Austin, Pastor Edward Clarence Craig, Jr. Neighborhood Park is a beautiful green space that covers over 17 acres. The park is situated near the intersection of Decker Lane and FM 969, making it easily accessible for residents of nearby neighborhoods. See This Article
The park was named in honor of Pastor Edward Clarence Craig, Jr., who served as the pastor of the Greater St. James Baptist Church in Austin for over 20 years. During his time as a pastor, Craig was a passionate advocate for the rights of African Americans and other minority groups, and he worked tirelessly to improve the lives of people in his community. After his death in 1997, the park was named in his honor as a tribute to his legacy of service and leadership.
Pastor Edward Clarence Craig, Jr. Neighborhood Park offers a wide range of amenities for visitors to enjoy. The park features a large playground area, picnic tables and grills, a basketball court, and a walking trail. The playground area is particularly popular with families, as it includes a variety of equipment for children of all ages to play on.
In addition to the playground and picnic areas, the park also features a large open space for sports and other recreational activities. The basketball court is a popular spot for pickup games, while the walking trail is perfect for joggers and walkers who want to enjoy some exercise while taking in the beautiful scenery of the park.
Events and Programs
Pastor Edward Clarence Craig, Jr. Neighborhood Park hosts a variety of events and programs throughout the year, making it a hub of activity for the surrounding community. The park is a popular spot for community events, including festivals, concerts, and holiday celebrations.
In addition to these special events, the park also offers a number of ongoing programs and activities for visitors of all ages. These programs include fitness classes, nature walks, and educational workshops on topics such as gardening and sustainability.
For those who are interested in giving back to their community, Pastor Edward Clarence Craig, Jr. Neighborhood Park offers a variety of volunteer opportunities. The park relies on the support of volunteers to help with everything from park maintenance to event planning and coordination.
Volunteers can get involved in a number of ways, including helping with litter cleanup, assisting with park events, and serving as a docent for educational programs. By volunteering at the park, visitors can make a positive impact on their community while enjoying the beautiful natural surroundings of the park.
Tips When Visiting
If you’re planning a visit to Pastor Edward Clarence Craig, Jr. Neighborhood Park, here are some tips to help you make the most of your experience:
- Wear comfortable shoes: The park features a walking trail, so wearing comfortable shoes is recommended if you plan to do some walking or jogging.
Bring sunscreen and insect repellent: The park is located in a wooded area, so be sure to protect yourself from sunburn and insect bites.
- Pack a picnic: The park features picnic tables and grills, so consider bringing a picnic lunch or snacks to enjoy while taking in the beautiful scenery.
- Respect the park and other visitors: To ensure that everyone can enjoy the park, be sure to follow all posted rules and regulations, including keeping the park clean and free of litter, respecting other park visitors, and obeying all traffic and parking regulations.
- Check the park’s calendar for upcoming events: Pastor Edward Clarence Craig, Jr. Neighborhood Park hosts a variety of events throughout the year, so be sure to check the park’s calendar for upcoming festivals, concerts, and other special events. Click for more info
- Volunteer your time: If you’re interested in giving back to your community, consider volunteering at the park. The park relies on the support of volunteers to help with everything from park maintenance to event planning and coordination.
In conclusion, Pastor Edward Clarence Craig, Jr. Neighborhood Park is a beautiful and vibrant community gathering place in Austin, Texas.
With its wide range of amenities, ongoing programs and events, and opportunities for community involvement, the park offers something for everyone. Whether you’re looking for a place to enjoy some outdoor recreation, attend a community event, or give back to your community, Pastor Edward Clarence Craig, Jr. Neighborhood Park is a wonderful destination to explore.
What are the park’s hours of operation?
The park is open daily from 5 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Is there a fee to use the park?
No, admission to Pastor Edward Clarence Craig, Jr. Neighborhood Park is free.
Are there restrooms available at the park?
Yes, the park features public restrooms for visitors to use.
Is there parking available at the park?
Yes, there is ample parking available for visitors to the park.
Can I bring my dog to the park?
Yes, dogs are allowed in the park but must be kept on a leash at all times.
Are there any rules or regulations I should be aware of when visiting the park?
Yes, visitors to the park are expected to follow all posted rules and regulations, including keeping the park clean and free of litter, respecting other park visitors, and obeying all traffic and parking regulations. Alcohol and smoking are not allowed in the park.
Is the park accessible for individuals with disabilities?
Yes, the park features accessible parking spaces and restrooms, as well as paved trails and wheelchair-accessible play equipment.
Important Information Need to Know
- Address: 4800 Copperbend Blvd, Austin, TX 78744, United States
- Website: https://www.austintexas.gov/parks
- Contact Number: +15129746700
- Opening Hours: Monday to Sunday: 5 AM to 10 PM